Thursday, November 22, 2012

I Learn Being Unemployed has its upside on my 78th Visit!

R.I.P Twinkies, R.I.P., my job!
Yes, I am out of a job. Most of America has heard the tragic news that Hostess Brands, maker of the famous Twinkies is now out of business. Besides the Twinkies being "no more," Hostess Brands being liquidated means I did not go to work today! (Because there is no work to go to) but, on the positive side, if I am not at work during the week, I can go to Divine Liturgy on Feasts days! And that is what I did yesterday.

 Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple  was celebrated today and I got to go to Divine Liturgy even though it was on a Wednesday! It was a joy.  At a time of uncertainly it is truly great to lean upon God and on the prayers of the Saints.  Both Fr Gary and Fr Sergious were celebrating and Reader John served at the altar.
Mary, as the Mercy Seat in our Parish

Orthodoxy should never be considered in a passing, fleeting way. If you do, than you will always  draw the wrong conclusions.  When you walk into the Church you see on the back wall, a giant painting of Mary, (with Jesus depicted inside to show the Incarnation,) ~ If, you just went by appearances  you would think that the Orthodox  worship Mary! After All, there is a giant picture of her in the front.  But, as Fr Tom Hopko said in one of his podcasts, "that is not Mary, that is the Mercy Seat!" In the old testament, the children of Israel used to carry around the Ark of the Covenant and, between two gold statues of angels, was an empty seat. That was supposed to represent God, who could not be depicted because He is Spirit. So while their pagan neighbors had all sorts of "gods" they fashioned and  worshiped, Israel had an empty chair. Well, with the Incarnation, God could be depicted, because while we have no idea what a Spirit looks like, we do know what a Man looks like!  So, instead of an empty seat in the front of the Church, we see Christ who arrived as a Man through Mary.  Now, that's cool stuff!

I did snap a few pictures while in Church. I made sure that it was unobtrusive.  You can check out some of those pics on my other blog, My Daily Phone Pic .http://mydailyphonepic.blogspot.com/2012/11/day-27-going-to-church-in-middle-of-week.html  One of the photos I took was of reader John, reading from, I believe, the letter to the Hebrews. In it, our course, we heard about The Mercy Seat!

After the Liturgy, I stayed for some coffee. Because the Orthodox abstain from all food beginning the midnight before, prior to receiving the Body and Blood of Christ, they are especially hungry by the time Church is over. So they had bagels, salmon, three bean salad~ a nice little feast! I had a nice time talking to people, some of whom I have never met before.  I met a nice lady who asked, "Who are you?" I explained that I have been going to Vespers for two years and she explained she could not drive at night anymore.  I also talked a little with Matthew (who I first met in February), Fr. Gary and with John and Tammy. Everyone was was sympathetic to my plight regarding me being jobless.

As for being jobless, yes, it is a bit stressful, but God has always provided for our family before and will continue to do so. His Mercy endures forever!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, tiffany, to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your job, Lord have Mercy. However, I smiled at the ever so small silver lining of being able to attend the Festal Liturgy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi,
    Thanks. I am trying to stay positive. God has never forsaken me before and I don't think He'll abandon me now!

    I must admit, a part of me doesn't want to find a job too quickly so I could enjoy things like Festal liturgies. Of course, I still think I should look diligently and I am. In fact, I am off to a job fair later on today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you any idea how long it took me to recognize that "golden pall" on the coffin? sigh....

    Prayers continue. That you move comfortably into a new job, and into a new church home. YiC, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill,
    I wouldn't feel too bad about not recognizing the twinkie at first glance...it shows you have great taste in snack food :)

    Thanks, again, for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete