Sunday, November 25, 2012

Visit #79 - Learning from Winston Churchill and JFK.



I arrived early last night and I went to grab a Vespers Service book in the narthex but found the Divine Liturgy books instead. What were they doing there? Oh, yeah. They were probably there since Wednesday, when we all celebrated the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple. And somebody forgot to switch them. No matter. I venerated the Icons and took my seat. I have found that I am able to "sing along" with a lot of what is going on without the books. That is something I am happy about it. I guess after two years of attending Vespers, I am bound to remember something!

My favorite part of the Vespers is the Kathisma, when we chant Psalm 2. Mostly, the choir sings all the verses but on occasion, reader Tim will chant the verses and the choir (and us) will respond with the "alleluia's." I love the way that sounds!

During the homily, Fr Gary talked about how Winston Churchill encouraged all to give thanks to God, even in the midst of war.  He went on to say that when President Kennedy was assassinated, Divine Liturgies were still offered the following Sunday and Thanksgiving was still observed the following Thursday.  So in times of trouble, we, His people, should give thanks.

Given my current work situation, that is good advice!

"O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good; and His Mercy endures forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment