Thursday, March 12, 2015

Visit #166 ~ Orderly Worship


I went to the Pre-Sanctified Liturgy Wednesday Night and I was even able to stay for the meal afterwards because I took a vacation day for Thursday and didn't have to wake up early to go to work.  I brought a gallon of water, at Tami's suggestion, to contribute to the meal.  The meal was very good. I don't know how they did it but the Shepard's Pie was Lenten but still delicious!

As for the Worship itself, it was, of course, wonderful. I love chanting the Psalms with the choir.  I also liked the part in the liturgy where it says we are worshiping with invisible powers.  Yes, it seems that Angels were joining us in our Hymns...or, rather, we were joining them!  I might have mentioned this before but I'll say it again and this has to do with people raising their hands in Worship. Now, I used to be a Pentecostal so raising hands was almost considered required if you really wanted to know God.  At our parish, whenever we get to a part of a Psalm that mentions raising our hands many ( but not all) will raise their hands in response to what is being said.  I contrast to the frenzy I would see it Pentecostal churches and I have to say that Orthodoxy takes seriously St. Paul's admonish to do everything decently and in order. Now, I know for some Orthodox, raising hands is not something that should ever be done. (See Father Joseph's Podcast to hear about an opposing view. ) But, I can say that what is done in our Parish is respectful, controlled and orderly.

So no matter what your view is on the subject, we can agree that Worship should glorify God and that is what happens during Divine Services. We join in with the Angels in singing His praises. And that is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment