Sunday, October 10, 2010

12th Visit to Vespers.


Last Saturday (3 October) was a great time at Vespers. I am getting to the point when I am not looking around to see how others are “doing it” but rather trying to enter in to worship as “the Spirit moves me.” – crossing myself when appropriate, raising my hands in the armon prayer position during the psalm that mentions raising your hands, bowing and kneeling as it is called for. This is very freeing for me.

A man brought a visitor to Vespers last week. He would, from time to time, whisper what was going on to explain. It wasn’t too distracting. At the end when all went around to venerate the icons, he stood in front of the Icon of the Mother of God with Jesus in her heart and explained all that meant. So we had to skip that one to venerate.

We also had a general confession service. This is my second one. The first time I remember Fr Gary launched right into it without explaining that it was happening so I was perplexed as to why we were saying the Lord’s prayer again since we had said it already. I soon caught on. This time he explained it, perhaps for the benefit of the “new person.”

Speaking of confession, participating in a general confession makes me long for the sacrament – actually all sacraments, especially the Eucharist. But I am a long way from that. What is holding me back is my family really doesn’t want me to “desert them.” In fact, my son said “I am glad you are going to Vespers Saturday nights AND with us to church on Sunday mornings.” …What’s a catechumen-wanna-be to do?

The above picture is of my protestant church van in the parking lot of the Orthodox Church. My church let me borrow the van for a few days while I figure out getting my own set of wheels, since my car was totaled. I wonder if people passing by thought there was mass conversions going on? J

couldn't go to Vespers last night because there was a concert at my church my whole family went to...next week, though.

6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading along with your experiences, since they parallel mine to some degree. I've been visiting Saturday Vespers -- and the occasional special Liturgy or other service -- when possible for a little over a year now.

    I thought I would pop in and say "hi" at this point, and wish you well in your explorations.

    I got a chuckle out of this particular update, thinking about your church van in the parking lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you to do? Well, I suppose the answer is to pray, visit for Vespers, and be incredibly patient. Then ask your priest. :) ("ask your priest" is pretty common advice, and rightly so, in Orthodoxy.)

    Have-a-gooda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, Thanks for stopping by and I have to admit regarding taking the church van-my wife said I should take her car but I insisted on the van...she really doesn't like to drive the church van and I knew it would be kinda funny...
    Hey, I am adding your blog to my blogroll!
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. geekywife,
    I really should talk to Fr Gary about it....does talking to a deacon count? or does a "spiritual Father" have to be a priest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim,
    Prayers for you and your family! You might be surprised at the people sharing your experience out there. My wife has yet to convert. I have come to understand that I must lead by example, to pray unceasingly, and to have faith that God's will is done.

    As St Seraphim of Sarov advised, "Acquire the peace of God in your heart and a thousand souls around you will be saved." May it be so! May it start with us!

    Jason (Anthony) Huntington, WV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason (Anthony),
    thanks for the prayers...I must pray more too!

    ReplyDelete